Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Leak / Flood detection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onhiatus

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 07 2008 at 12:40 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

Not specifically a PowerHome question, but thought some of you might have done something clever.

Does anyone have any flood / leak detectors in use? We lost a waterheater about a year ago and were "lucky" because there were holes in the floor that allowed the water to drain into the lake. We've since been working on insulation and de-drafting so the next time could be a disaster.

Plus I've been doing my own plumbing in a kitchen remodel, nothing major but I think the wife would be reassured by some leak alarms.

So what do people use? X10 flash? Modified HawkEyes? Modified smoke detectors? (so that's what the test button is for!) Or something more reliable?

Thanks, Tony
Back to Top View onhiatus's Profile Search for other posts by onhiatus Visit onhiatus's Homepage

Gadgets

Posted: March 07 2008 at 23:14 | IP Logged Quote Gadgets

First, I have to say when you read your post, how funny it sounds unless you know where you live. To hear there are "holes in the floor" that let the "water run into the lake" just doesn't sound right!   

Anyway, I would probably build my own, there are plenty of circuits out on the net that are pretty simple. I'd then output that to a modified Mini Controller or one of those power flash modules, to trigger the X10 signal to powerhome. Then obviously you could have PH do whatever you wanted from there. One tip I learned from the alarm business. Use stainless steel probes.. AND screws that connect the wires to the probe, then silicon over the connections so the copper doesn't oxidize bad and let a lead break off.
The flood detectors that are widely used in security systems use stainless probs, but regular screws.. when tucked in a sump pump well, the screws rust away... brillient design!

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 08 2008 at 08:38 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I don't have any of these, but they popped up on Cocoontech...

GRI Water Sensor
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

Gadgets

Posted: March 08 2008 at 18:06 | IP Logged Quote Gadgets

TonyNo wrote:
I don't have any of these, but they popped up on Cocoontech...

GRI Water Sensor

You have to be careful with using GRI products, their quality isn't all that great. I was approached many years ago by them to use their products on security systems, so they sent me samples. I wasn't impressed, so said know. Several years later, and a new owner of the company I worked for... and they approached that company. They jumped at them because they were cheap. I tried to tell them what I knew, but I was in the company as an aquisition so "didn't know anything". With in the year we were going around and replacing most of the door switches due to several quality related issues. That's my nickels worth.   

Gadgets

Posted: March 08 2008 at 18:28 | IP Logged Quote Gadgets

This "WaterBug" was one of two devices we used in alarm systems. I really liked this one, I'm still searching for the other I just can't remember the name of it. I would confidently use either one though.. if I can find the other one I'll post it.

WaterBug

Brian

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: March 09 2008 at 16:31 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

you can get inexpensive imitation waterbugs at the home depot and they work fine. I have about 3 or 4 around my house (Hot water heater, furnace pump, and the first place that gets wet when the septic backs up). Unless you need remote notification these are fine. quite loud and batteries last years.
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 09 2008 at 16:34 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Hmm. Maybe those could be grafted to a DS10A...
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

Gadgets

Posted: March 09 2008 at 21:06 | IP Logged Quote Gadgets

As long as they have a dry contact or can have a relay added to give it, and they are reliable I'd be happy.

I have just seen so much crap in my 21 years in the alarm business, I'm always suspicious.    But, if I can get usage input from someone who has used something for some time and it's been good... then I'm always willing to give it a try.    I'll have to look at see if HD has something like that here.

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: March 30 2008 at 22:54 | IP Logged Quote grif091

Regarding Flood/Leak detectors, Simplehomenet carries a leak detector (EZLQD) built around a Dakota Alert 3000 Universal transmitter. It is wireless so it can be placed almost anywhere. It is installed on my dock so I get an alert if the lake level gets high enough to endanger my irrigation pumps. Seems that always happens in the middle of the night. I use a Dakota Alert WR3000 receiver to pick up the alert signal from the flood detector. The Dakota Alert receiver has an audible alarm and it is connected to a Simplehomenet EZIO6I device which sends an Insteon ON command to alert the Insteon network. Have been using Insteon for nearly two years. Much more reliable than the X10 it replaced. Using Dakota Alert 3000 devices, which also monitor mail delivery to my mailbox and driveway activity, for over a year. Insteon devices from Smarthome and Simplehomenet have been reliable. Simplehomenet builds some of their devices on top of Smarthome PLMs which has been problematic at times because of issues with the PLMs. Simplehomenet has bent over backwards to resolve these, replacing devices built on the problem PLMs. No issues with the Dakota Alert devices. My Dakota Alert devices are wireless, have long range and reliable alerts.

Gadgets

Posted: March 31 2008 at 08:54 | IP Logged Quote Gadgets

Hey thanks for the info grif! Do these devices have audible low battery or anything? I could see them easily being forgot about tucked away in corners etc..

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: March 31 2008 at 11:22 | IP Logged Quote grif091

I also use Dakota Alert Motion sensors and they do have a low battery alert. Don't see anything in the documentation for the Dakota Alert Universal Transmitter that discusses a low battery alarm nor does their web site mention it for that device. My guess is no low battery alarm or they would have mentioned it. The transmitter has an external button which I use as a complete systems test. Tests all the Insteon and Dakota Alert devices associated with the high water alarm. Dakato Alert sells the "Waterbug" which they say has a low batter indicator but I have no experience with that device. You have a good point. Like the battery powered smoke detectors I have, if they did not chirp I would probably have dead smoke detectors.

kemporama

Posted: May 20 2010 at 01:23 | IP Logged Quote kemporama

This thread is a few years old, so I was curious if anyone has started using any new leak detection products during this time that they would mind sharing the names of. Does anyone have a system that will shut off your water main when the sensors detect a leak like this system does, but maybe not quite as expensive... http://www.watercop.com

In a perfect world I'd like to have leak sensors around the house, when they detect water they shut off the water main like the Watercop does, and then have an Insteon device that talks to PowerHome that can send me text messages, emails, blink the lights in the house, etc.

I'm thinking what could work is to use the Watercop shutoff valve which they claim has input/output contacts on it which I'm guessing could be conncted to a SmartLinc to control/detect on and offs, and then use a Waterbug that was referenced in an earlier post for the sensors which would also connected to a SmartLinc to connect it all together.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Back to Top View kemporama's Profile Search for other posts by kemporama

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version