Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: SwitchLinc with normal motion detector? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
judetf

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 26 2008 at 08:27 | IP Logged Quote judetf

My driveway has pre-installed, traditional motion-detector floodlights that work quite well. Additionally, I have a normal paddle switch in the house that can turn these lights off (regardless of whether they are actually "lit" due to motion detection).

If I replace the paddle switch with a SwitchLink, can I leverage PowerHome to know when the lights actually turn on due to a motion trigger?

I found this thread which is maybe on point, but can't get a definitive answer. It seems to suggest that PH polling can register a status change...

Can anyone comment one way or the other? I'd like to get those motion detectors to interact with PH and the rest of my Insteon lights, and was considering purchasing replacement devices to handle this, but if it can be done just by dropping a SwitchLinc in, that would be fantastic.

Thanks
jtf

Edited by judetf - February 26 2008 at 10:31
Back to Top View judetf's Profile Search for other posts by judetf

bhlonewolf

Posted: February 26 2008 at 08:37 | IP Logged Quote bhlonewolf

I don't think so, but if you have a wiring diagram that might help. You can detect whether the switch is on or off, but not whether or not current is flowing over to load (at least not easily).

Your best bet I think would be to wait for an insteon motion sensor, and possibly some type of cross-linking between the switch and the sensor.
Back to Top View bhlonewolf's Profile Search for other posts by bhlonewolf

judetf

Posted: February 26 2008 at 10:43 | IP Logged Quote judetf

As I've read more, it seems that polling is supposed to let you determine the local load status of lamps that are plugged into a Lamplinc and that have been turned on/off manually.

It strikes me that my goal with the motion detector lights is the same. It is motion, rather than my hand, which is turning the light on, but that shouldn't matter.

So, if polling can do it, will it work by polling a Switchlinc rather than a Lamplinc?

bhlonewolf

Posted: February 26 2008 at 11:37 | IP Logged Quote bhlonewolf

I don't think so because switchlincs (thankfully, to be honest with you) don't have the load sensing feature. (the load sensing causes as many problems as it solves.)

With a lamplinc, it kind of makes sense in situations where someone might turn on/off a lamp manually -- which is a very rare scenario for a switched light.

What you could do is cross link an insteon motion sensor to the switch. Since the motion sensors aren't out yet, it may be possible to use a relay, or an x-10 device, etc. That way, when the device sees movement, it triggers the switch on.

Polling is ok, but the problem is that it's far from real-time, depending on how you have it set up and the number of devices you have.
Back to Top View bhlonewolf's Profile Search for other posts by bhlonewolf

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: February 26 2008 at 21:27 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

what you really want to do is tear apart the motion-detector and mate it with a powerflash module (or the EZIO if you have the bucks), or replace the spots with an X-10 PR-511 (or wait for the INSTEON motion sensor promised later this year). I use the PR-511 with my system, to trigger other outside lights, and though the programming was a little tricky (you have to deal with a user wanting to turn on all the lights and the PR-511 that turns on itself and other lights, and may even try to cycle off if it was manually turned on), it works quite well now. still, i await an insteon motion-sensor so I can simplify it and improve latency.
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 26 2008 at 16:33 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

I have an X10 eagleEye hidden out on my front porch. When someone come to the door it sends an X10 signal to a fake/unused address that powerhome picks up, converts it to inteon, sends a signal to the insteon light switch that controls the porch lights. If you have an insteon light switch and powerhome just buy the eagleEye for $20. Save some $. But you might want to replace the flood lights with a normal light fixture.

http://www.smarthome.com/4087.html

also.. with this setup you can have powerhome act as a timmer for your front lights too.

I was going through some old clips from my DVR/Security camera's and I actualy saw a racoon on the porch trigger the lights to come on and then watched him run away. it was really funny.
Back to Top View funbobbybaby69's Profile Search for other posts by funbobbybaby69

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 26 2008 at 16:35 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Thanks - that could work. problem is - you have X-10 going on (in my case) a virtually all insteon network = reliability issues.

I'm still hoping/betting on an INSTEON motion sensor this year
/j

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 26 2008 at 16:56 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

I agree an insteon m.s. would rock! but to tell you the truth. The little eagleEye has never let me down! I had apx 20 X10 light switches, 5 app. modules, 4 motion sensors, etc. and i finally got fed up with x10 reliability so i jumped into insteon (with great success!) but to this day i still use all 4 X10 motion sensors and they have never let me down. i have them in the basement so if its dark the light fade on as i come down the stairs, out back if something is sensed its turns on outside lights along with lights in the house to make it look like someone is home (kinda freaky when your in that room watching a movie or getting giggie with it and the lights go on) but that being said. I am very content with it.
Just my opinion.
Back to Top View funbobbybaby69's Profile Search for other posts by funbobbybaby69

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 26 2008 at 17:12 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

FYI: X10 Wireless does not equal X10 power line.

They are two different animals. The wireless stuff will not cause any Insteon problems.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 26 2008 at 17:21 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

I agree, I was just letting jtf know that the eagleEye has been very reliable for me. (even though it says X10 on it) LOL

Rob

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 26 2008 at 17:39 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

don't understand - - how would powerhome receive X-10 WIRELESS????
/j

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 26 2008 at 19:43 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Ah, well, you need a receiver!

Something like an X10 MR-26A, WGL W800RF32A, or an RFXCOM 80001.

I have and recommend the W800, but the RFXCOM can do more (and is more expensive).

Edited by TonyNo - June 26 2008 at 19:45
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 26 2008 at 19:51 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

right - but then it's still WIRED X-10 from the receiver to the PLC, and more $. happy to wait a bit longer for the real (insteon) thing...
/j

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 26 2008 at 22:12 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Not to PLC, to PC. Direct into PH. You can wait, though!

As long as you have the new version of the SignaLinc's. Those are the only ones that will receive the wireless stuff when it exists.

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 26 2008 at 22:23 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

wait - you're saying the new accesslincs (or whatever) will receive wireless X-10????

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 27 2008 at 07:45 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

No, no. Wireless Insteon.

judetf

Posted: June 27 2008 at 09:02 | IP Logged Quote judetf

funbobbybaby69 wrote:
[snip](kinda freaky when your in that room watching a movie or getting giggie with it and the lights go on)[snip]

Proposed solution: Global Variable "GittinGiggie" + KPL button to toggle "yes/no"

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 27 2008 at 09:51 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

This is what im using

http://www.aartech.ca/2414u-smarthome-powerlinc-v2-insteon-x 10-usb-controller-c-26-p-1-sku-2414u.html

The 2414u works great! it accepts x10 and insteon wireless signals.

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 27 2008 at 10:07 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

i have a 2414u - i don't think it accepts ANY wireless signals. you sure you don't have an X10 receiver somewhere?

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 27 2008 at 13:42 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

The 2414U does not do wireless at all.

Only the 2443 Insteon Accesspoint handles the yet-to-be-released Insteon wireless stuff (ignoring the ugly remote that *is* available).

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version