Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: ElkInsteon Utility Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
smarty
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 22 2006 at 20:36 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Folks,
The post below from Dave explains how to use the ElkInsteon Utility (original post dated July 14, 2006).

In following this post, I am unable to "connect" to my M1XSP; I keep getting the message that "A timeout occured while trying to retrieve data".

Background: I start with a computer that runs PH. Attached to it is a Powerlinc serial controller. This set up presently "works" and is able to do all I need with Insteon. I then shut down PH (and hence the Insteon SDM), unplug the serial cable from the computer (computer only has one serial port) and connect another serial cable (will a null modem and a gender changer adapter) to the powered up Elk M1XSP. The M1XSP is running the latest firmware (verified).

At this point I run the ElkInsteon Utility (selecting the same COM port as was just used), and the error occurs. Any ideas??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are no specific instructions for the ElkInsteon Util. It should be fairly easy to pick up. If you're using it in conjunction with PowerHome and you've already got your links setup and configured (phinsteon.rtf in the PowerHome directory), then the util is a piece of cake (other than physically connecting it to the M1XSP).

To use the util, first make sure that you've got the latest Insteon firmware installed in the M1XSP. You can get this from the Elk website and use the ElkRM program to flash the M1XSP. Once that is done, you'll need a spare serial port on the PowerHome machine that you'll connect to the serial port on the M1XSP (where the PowerLinc would normally go) through a null modem adaptor. You'll probably also need a gender-bender since this cable will be female to female.

Copy the ElkInsteon.exe file to your PowerHome directory. Current version requires PowerHome to be installed, future version won't. Launch the ElkInsteon.exe file and type in the COM port that you're using to communicate to the M1XSP. The first tab (PowerHome) will show you all of the devices that are defined within PowerHome. Just go down the list and assign a number from 1 to 192 in the "Sort" column. This will equate to the Elk lighting device ID. Select the "Programming Method" and then press the "Load" button. The devices will be transferred to the M1XSP. You can choose to save your "Sort" changes back to PowerHome if you like.

If you go to the "Elk / M1XSP" tab, you can retrieve what is currently stored in the M1XSP and directly make changes without directly pulling data from PowerHome. You can make manual changes or combine info with PowerHome and then save the changes back to the M1XSP.

When done, just disconnect the cable from PowerHome and reconnect the PLC and the Elk should now be good to go.

HTH,

Dave.

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: August 28 2006 at 17:33 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Bump.....

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 29 2006 at 23:42 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Smarty,

The only things that I can think of is that either the cable, null modem adaptor, or gender bender is bad...or PowerHome is unable to access the serial port.

It's possible that the SDM is able to open the serial port and PowerHome isnt (PowerHome uses the Microsoft COMM control) but would not be likely. Just curious, what COM port number is the machine set to and what type of serial port is it (motherboard, PCI, USB, etc.)

I know it isnt much, but it's all I can think of at the moment (especially since we know the serial port works).

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

m0eman

Posted: September 02 2006 at 14:05 | IP Logged Quote m0eman

I also consistently get the "timeout occured while trying to retrieve data" error. I JUST installed my system, and am using the trial beta version 1.03.4.7 of PH. I suspect that elkinsteon.exe works with 1.03.4, but is incompatable with 1.03.4.7 .

Has anyone successfully connected to their ELK using elkinsteon.exe with 1.03.4.7 ?

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 16 2006 at 15:25 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

m0eman,

THe ElkInsteon util is compatible with 1.03.4.7 (it actually won't work with 1.03.4 since this is a pre-insteon version).

I don't know if you have any other serial controlled devices that PowerHome supports but you may trying one of these if you do to verify that PowerHome is able to properly communicate with the serial port.

Let me know,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

m0eman

Posted: July 02 2007 at 02:30 | IP Logged Quote m0eman

After a long excursion, I'm back. I now am running 1.0.3.11, and am having simular issues. I can connect to the PLC fine via com2. When I disable the PLC, unplug it, and plug into the M1XSP, it times-out.
Thank you,
Steve

Edited by m0eman - July 02 2007 at 03:05

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 02 2007 at 10:08 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

When you plug a cable from the PowerHome PC's COM2 to the serial port on the M1XSP, are you using a null modem adaptor AND a gender-bender? This is usually wants needed.

If you are using a null modem adaptor, you may want to try another one as they all arent created equal.

Let me know,

Dave.

m0eman

Posted: July 02 2007 at 19:48 | IP Logged Quote m0eman

I got a new Null Modem Adapter and that did the trick! I'm up and running!
Thanks,
Steve

bmil

Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:37 | IP Logged Quote bmil

Don't know if it's related or not but..

ElkInsteon always worked perfectly for me until I did the last Insteon firmware upgrade to the XSP. Now I constantly get a timeout error while retrieving devices from the XSP. I can't get beyond device 8 or 9 at most.

No changes to anything except the firmware revision.
Back to Top View bmil's Profile Search for other posts by bmil

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version